Total War Hotseat Campaigns
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Jadli
Jadli
Site Owner

TIOC - Hotseat Rules and List of Players Empty TIOC - Hotseat Rules and List of Players

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)

Britannia

The Isles of Chaos

TIOC - Hotseat Rules and List of Players 00277763

The games have begun.
Admin - Jadli
Co-Admin - Ramble12
Using a slightly modified Britannia campaign, see spoiler for .rar file download link:
Spoiler:

Players

England - Hannibal2001
The Baron's Alliance - paladinbob123
Scotland - ScotlandIsBest
Ireland - PeaMan
Wales - CommodusIV
Norway - Der Böse Wolf

Description:

Rules

Spoiler:

Win Conditions

Spoiler:

Last edited by Jadli on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : updated player)
paladinbob123
paladinbob123

TIOC - Hotseat Rules and List of Players Empty Re: TIOC - Hotseat Rules and List of Players

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:47 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
I think wise coffin has left ,but willing to continue here, if the players support such a move.....but equally to continue , we will need another English player
ScotlandIsBest

TIOC - Hotseat Rules and List of Players Empty Re: TIOC - Hotseat Rules and List of Players

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:24 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Agreed I'm more than willing to continue
Der Böse Wolf
Der Böse Wolf

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:47 pm
Of course I'm in. I hope The Wise Coffin comes along.

Waiting for Ireland and Wales to confirm.
ScotlandIsBest

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:50 pm
Commodus is back I'm pretty sure so just Ireland
Jadli
Jadli
Site Owner

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:41 pm
Yea. Will try to ask around for someone to play England. If I dont find anyone Ill sub somewhere around tomorrow Smile
CommodusIV
CommodusIV

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:58 pm
Haven't heard from Coffin yet. Things will continue here, then, in which case the first save can go off to the saves thread. Feel free to make suggestions for improving the site's structure, in the meantime. I can attempt to poke a person for replacement, though I'm not sure if I can get to him in good time, nor am I sure that he will be willing to participate.
Jadli
Jadli
Site Owner

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:18 pm
Coffin told he wil not continue, thus a replacement is needed as I said
CommodusIV
CommodusIV

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:27 pm
The user I hinted at doesn't seem to be coming. Unless he instantly pops in, I don't think there's a good chance of seeing him >.<
Der Böse Wolf
Der Böse Wolf

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 pm
Do we have any news regarding an England player?
Hannibal2001
Hannibal2001
1 Staff Hotseat Victory
1 Staff Hotseat Victory

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 pm
I'll need a CS from the admin Smile.
Der Böse Wolf
Der Böse Wolf

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:26 pm
Brilliant, welcome aboard!

Do you wish me to give an overview of the Norwegian-English relations up until this point, in PM, of course?
Hannibal2001
Hannibal2001
1 Staff Hotseat Victory
1 Staff Hotseat Victory

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:45 pm
Everyone is free to do so.
PeaMan
PeaMan

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:03 pm
Alas! We can finally continue, all is as it should be.
CommodusIV
CommodusIV

Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:54 pm
Der Böse Wolf wrote:Oh wow, things got heavy real quick.

Just a reminder to Hannibal, since he just joined the HS, about the siege equipment rules:

"A siege weapon can only participate once every two turns. That is, you cannot use it for one siege, and turn it around to be used in another siege the following turn or during the current turn."

So England cannot assault Cardiff next turn as it had already used the catapults to attack Pembroke.

Rest assured, Hannibal has the full grasps of the mechanics necessary to whack me :p
CommodusIV
CommodusIV

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:01 pm
Der Bose, while I do not recall the exact circumstances of the sieges, one settlement was taken by catapults and on the same turn the other settlement (which was somewhat weak in defenses in the first place, kinda had a minimum in there) was besieged by a much larger stack. Presumably, he created the appropriate siege equipment and sallied from there. Hannibal made strong attempts to clarify the rules beforehand. But, I can attempt to get an admin's eye in if that would be satisfactory.
Der Böse Wolf
Der Böse Wolf

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:36 pm
I understand, and I'm not trying to be picky whatsoever.

But I thought the rules obliged any siege to have both siege equipment AND artillery (which can't be used twice in two consecutive turns) for the assault to be possible (unless a spy opens the gates).

So even if Cardiff was besieged with overwhelming forces, it cannot be assaulted without artillery (which I assume were used to take Pembroke).

So Cardiff can only be taken on England's next turn and not in the previous one as is the case now....unless England had a spy in Cardiff with over 60% chance to open the gates) or if England had another set of catapults.

But since no screenshots were posted, we don't know.

Again, not trying to be a pain in the ass, but I just want the rules to be followed.

For me, I don't care about winning or losing, I have fun roleplaying and storytelling so I'm not being picky just to annoy.

Hannibal2001
Hannibal2001
1 Staff Hotseat Victory
1 Staff Hotseat Victory

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:43 pm
Der Böse Wolf wrote:I understand, and I'm not trying to be picky whatsoever.

But I thought the rules obliged any siege to have both siege equipment AND artillery (which can't be used twice in two consecutive turns) for the assault to be possible (unless a spy opens the gates).

So even if Cardiff was besieged with overwhelming forces, it cannot be assaulted without artillery (which I assume were used to take Pembroke).

So Cardiff can only be taken on England's next turn and not in the previous one as is the case now....unless England had a spy in Cardiff with over 60% chance to open the gates) or if England had another set of catapults.

But since no screenshots were posted, we don't know.

Again, not trying to be a pain in the ass, but I just want the rules to be followed.

For me, I don't care about winning or losing, I have fun roleplaying and storytelling so I'm not being picky just to annoy.

I discussed this with Commodus and he told me that only high level cities are required to be taken both with siege equipment and artillery. Cardiff was just a town so I had the option to take it only with siege equipment. I built the required equipment as the rules said and then took it with overwhelming odds and won it without many casualties so pics are not required unless Commodus demands them. I did everything according to the rules.
Der Böse Wolf
Der Böse Wolf

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:48 pm
Sure man, I'm not accusing you of cheating, I just want to understand what happened as it seems I understood the rules differently.
CommodusIV
CommodusIV

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:23 pm
Perhaps pics would be good, indicating the equipment in use to take the settlement, to try and bring this to a quick conclusion.
Jadli
Jadli
Site Owner

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:30 pm
Considering there are many requirements for siege rules always provide pics,  as you need to show how many men is in the garisson, level of the settlements,  etc to prove you did it with accordance to the rules

Settlements not being big enough to be relevant for the ladder rules are only those with wooden pallisades (forts, motte and bailey, small towns. And villages ofc), as you cant put ladders on them, while you can put them on wooden walls (towns and wooden castles).

So please shows us the pics

Considering Cardiff had 640 men and wooden walls I suspect rules were broken?
Hannibal2001
Hannibal2001
1 Staff Hotseat Victory
1 Staff Hotseat Victory

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:07 pm
Jadli wrote:Considering there are many requirements for siege rules always provide pics,  as you need to show how many men is in the garisson, level of the settlements,  etc to prove you did it with accordance to the rules

Settlements not being big enough to be relevant for the ladder rules are only those with wooden pallisades (forts, motte and bailey, small towns. And villages ofc), as you cant put ladders on them, while you can put them on wooden walls (towns and wooden castles).

So please shows us the pics

Considering Cardiff had 640 men and wooden walls I suspect rules were broken?
TIOC - Hotseat Rules and List of Players 20180209193110_1

Rules were not broken as I've clarified this with Commodus before playing and he told that I can assault it with siege equipment. I did not use a spy or artillery from the previous assault. I built the siege equipment enforced by the rules and assault it according to the rules Razz .
Der Böse Wolf
Der Böse Wolf

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:31 pm
I know why there is so much confusion, as I had the same doubts regarding the siege rules before.

Before I explain, I just want to state that, as per the rules, screenshots are mandatory for all battles and only optional when it involves agents.

Regarding the siege rules here is the text:

"Siege Mechanics
Siege Equipment Prerequisites

Ballista can take out anything with wooden walls, provided there are two of them in the besieging forces.
Catapults can take out wooden walls and forts solo; two catapults must be used to breach castle/city walls.
Trebuchets can take out all walls up to fortress solo; two are required for a fortress and a citadel. Huge cities follow fortress/citadel rules.
Two catapults and a trebuchet are interchangeable when reading these rules. If you need a trebuchet to knock something down, but only have a pair of catapults, you're solid. If you want to counter someone's catapult that sits in a settlement, but you only have a trebuchet, then the trebuchet will overrule the catapult and count as an extra catapult.
Riabults can only knock down the simplest level of wooden walls.
Bombards follow the same rules of use as catapults. They can replace superior cannons in the same way that catapults can replace trebuchets.
Larger cannons more advanced than the bombard (not monster riabult, see above) follow Trebuchet rules.

A siege weapon can only participate once every two turns. That is, you cannot use it for one siege, and turn it around to be used in another siege the following turn or during the current turn.

In addition, defending forces may include siege equipment in their own cities. If that is the case, you must match their siege equipment, as their equipment cancels out your own. If they have a catapult, you need to have one more catapult. If they have two catapults, you need a trebuchet to counter them and then use the amount of siege equipment required to breach the walls.

Next Stage of Sieges
This is where things get more interesting.
> If there are less than 4 full units or less than 250 men in a besieged settlement, only a battering ram is required to be able to breach a set of walls.
> If there are more than 4 full units or 250 men in a besieged settlement, you must have a 1:1 ratio of ground units to enemy ground units (you do not need to match enemy artillery or cavalry). If this condition is met, you must create a ladder for four foot units in the case of a castle, five ladders against a fortress, and six ladders against a citadel.
> If a besieged town isn't big enough for ladders to be relevant, skip these rules, and only use the equipment rules above.
> Rebel cities only require the siege equipment rules, and not the extended battering ram/ladder requirements."

As you can see, artillery is MANDATORY (Siege equipment prerequisites). The ladders rule (Next stage of Sieges) comes after the Prerequisites.

I also had doubt about this but Commodus explained in the original thread in the previous forum, that indeed we need both artillery and siege equipment. The idea was to make conquest slower.

This is why I was surprised how England took two cities in two consecutive turns as it was impossible as per the rules (using th same artillery) unless an agent was used.

So the assault of Cardiff can not take place without the SIEGE PREREQUISITES, ie Artillery.

It's not Hannibal's fault though as either Commodus failed to clarify this to him or Hannibal didn't understand it correctly, just like I did before.

So all sieges require artillery as a prerequisite.
Jadli
Jadli
Site Owner

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:41 pm
You still havent showed us whether you had enough ladders...
Hannibal2001
Hannibal2001
1 Staff Hotseat Victory
1 Staff Hotseat Victory

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:42 pm
Der Böse Wolf wrote:I know why there is so much confusion, as I had the same doubts regarding the siege rules before.

Before I explain, I just want to state that, as per the rules, screenshots are mandatory for all battles and only optional when it involves agents.

Regarding the siege rules here is the text:

"Siege Mechanics
Siege Equipment Prerequisites

Ballista can take out anything with wooden walls, provided there are two of them in the besieging forces.
Catapults can take out wooden walls and forts solo; two catapults must be used to breach castle/city walls.
Trebuchets can take out all walls up to fortress solo; two are required for a fortress and a citadel. Huge cities follow fortress/citadel rules.
Two catapults and a trebuchet are interchangeable when reading these rules. If you need a trebuchet to knock something down, but only have a pair of catapults, you're solid. If you want to counter someone's catapult that sits in a settlement, but you only have a trebuchet, then the trebuchet will overrule the catapult and count as an extra catapult.
Riabults can only knock down the simplest level of wooden walls.
Bombards follow the same rules of use as catapults. They can replace superior cannons in the same way that catapults can replace trebuchets.
Larger cannons more advanced than the bombard (not monster riabult, see above) follow Trebuchet rules.

A siege weapon can only participate once every two turns. That is, you cannot use it for one siege, and turn it around to be used in another siege the following turn or during the current turn.

In addition, defending forces may include siege equipment in their own cities. If that is the case, you must match their siege equipment, as their equipment cancels out your own. If they have a catapult, you need to have one more catapult. If they have two catapults, you need a trebuchet to counter them and then use the amount of siege equipment required to breach the walls.

Next Stage of Sieges
This is where things get more interesting.
> If there are less than 4 full units or less than 250 men in a besieged settlement, only a battering ram is required to be able to breach a set of walls.
> If there are more than 4 full units or 250 men in a besieged settlement, you must have a 1:1 ratio of ground units to enemy ground units (you do not need to match enemy artillery or cavalry). If this condition is met, you must create a ladder for four foot units in the case of a castle, five ladders against a fortress, and six ladders against a citadel.
> If a besieged town isn't big enough for ladders to be relevant, skip these rules, and only use the equipment rules above.
> Rebel cities only require the siege equipment rules, and not the extended battering ram/ladder requirements."

As you can see, artillery is MANDATORY (Siege equipment prerequisites). The ladders rule (Next stage of Sieges) comes after the Prerequisites.

I also had doubt about this but Commodus explained in the original thread in the previous forum, that indeed we need both artillery and siege equipment. The idea was to make conquest slower.

This is why I was surprised how England took two cities in two consecutive turns as it was impossible as per the rules (using th same artillery) unless an agent was used.

So the assault of Cardiff can not take place without the SIEGE PREREQUISITES, ie Artillery.

It's not Hannibal's fault though as either Commodus failed to clarify this to him or Hannibal didn't understand it correctly, just like I did before.

So all sieges require artillery as a prerequisite.
Where exactly is it mandatory? You just copy and pasted a text you don't explain anything Razz. I discussed this with Commodus who made the rules and told me that I can assault with just siege equipment as artillery and siege equipment is required only for high level settlements like fortresses or citadels. Cardiff is just a large town. This is getting rather annoying as I did everything according to the rules and consulted with the guy who made them before playing.
Hannibal2001
Hannibal2001
1 Staff Hotseat Victory
1 Staff Hotseat Victory

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:43 pm
Jadli wrote:You still havent showed us whether you had enough ladders...
I had 8 foot units and according to the rules I need to build a ladder for each 4 units so I built 2 ladders. In addition to that I added an extra unit to have a battering ram as well. Let me pull up the screenshot .

TIOC - Hotseat Rules and List of Players 20180209200542_1

As you can see I have the required ammount of units and ladders to take the settlement.

Last edited by Hannibal2001 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Der Böse Wolf
Der Böse Wolf

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:50 pm
I'm sorry Hannibal, I know its annoying, but in the text I copy and pasted, it DOES NOT say that artillery are only needed for higher end cities. It also doesn't say that smaller towns are exempt of the artillery rules.

It just say that artillery ir a PREREQUISITE in a siege, and without specifying town or castle size, I assume then that the rule is for ALL sieges.

With that said, if Commodus who put the rules say that they only apply to bigger cities then I'm ok with it, really.

But he must explain it in the rules clearly.

Again, I'm not picking on anyone, I just want it to be clear as now war has started in the campaign and there will be many battles so it's important that we all clearly understand how to conduct sieges...as now I don't know what the rules are anymore.

Hannibal2001
Hannibal2001
1 Staff Hotseat Victory
1 Staff Hotseat Victory

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:59 pm
Der Böse Wolf wrote:as now I don't know what the rules are anymore.
Someone has to enlighten us both then as I was given a different sides of the rules if what you say it's true.
Jadli
Jadli
Site Owner

Siege artillery is by the rules needed for all sieges indeed, as Der Bose says. "The Next Stages of Siege" assumes you already fullfilled the criteria for the artillery. Nor sure what Commodus told you, maybe he got confused. Would be best if he made it clear asap

Last edited by Jadli on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
CommodusIV
CommodusIV

My explanation was poor in the first place. I probably misunderstood/miscommunicated the distinction between the artillery part and the next stage of the rules, as for ladders and such small walls do not need to follow said rules. It would be easy to confuse me on the distinction between siege equipment, the artillery and siege equipment, the ladders and towers and rams >.<. I think, given the ambiguity, we can established that artillery is needed to assault, plus whatever applicable ladders and such in the future. But, as again the rules were not too well written and my explanation was plainly quite poor, I don't think Hanni should be punished for what comes out to be a communication error.

In other words, my recommended course of action is "it stands, but it doesn't work in the future".

Last edited by CommodusIV on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum